Introduction and wheel/tyre question.

Christoph
Dear Costello owners,

First let me introduce myself, I'm Christoph van Zeventer from The Netherlands. I'm 18 years old and have a MGB GT (not a big V8 but a very healthy 1800, 4 cylinder), my dad has owned a MGB Roadster for 22 years and has currently a MG RV8. That also explains my very early love for MG's.

Well you are probably wondering what a normal MG owner is doing on the Costello forums, that brings me to my question. My GT has Costello's(Scimitar GTE/Princess Ann) wheels on it and the tyres are pretty worn out, I saw in a earlier topic that you recommend 185/70/14 tires on these wheels(that also the current tyre size).

So as I'm about tho replace the old tyres, I was wondering what sort of tyres you recommend on these wheels, thereby I mean what kind of tyre manufacturer? (Bridgetone, Michelin, Pirelli etc.)

O and just for the record I'm not a spoiled fellow, I bought the GT with my own money were I had to work for more than one summer. On the moment I just got it back from the painter and I'm putting all the parts back together to finish the restoration. The tyres and a overdrive gearbox(already in the garage) are the last steps.

Also nice to see a lovely MGB GT Costello in The Netherlands which one day I hope to see on one of the Dutch MG events.

I'm really looking forward to your answers.

Best regards, Christoph van Zeventer

Re: Introduction and wheel/tyre question.

lawrencew
Administrator
Hello Christophe,

Thanks for your posting.

I think any one of the three tyre manufacturers will serve your car well, it's just a question of how much you want to spend. I recently put four new tyres on my Roadster, all Bridgestone Turanza ER300, size 185/65/R15. They do lose traction in the wet but that's fine with me as that protects my old MGB 4-speed gearbox from having too much torque strip its teeth!

I think Michelins are about 10% more in price.

Good luck!
Lawrence.

Re: Introduction and wheel/tyre question.

Thierryd
Hi Christoph,

I also have original Costello's wheels on mine, fitted with Michelin Energy 185/70/R14. They are good enough. But of course other manufacturers are good as well, this is more a question of personal choice vs driving feeling, I don't think there is one to recommend.
Best regards
Thierry

Re: Introduction and wheel/tyre question.

Christoph
First of all thank you for the answers.

Lawrence, you have a pretty good point of all those kinds of tyre manufactures having pretty good tyres! But it will probably be the Pirelli’s. About the gearbox, a few months ago I bought myself a perfectly revised 4 – overdrive gearbox, so that isn’t the problem ;)

Thiery, those Michelin Energy savers seem to be some very good tyre but also very expensive. After informing again by the local tyre supplier it will probably be the Pirelli P4000 tyre, 185/70 14.

The Pirelli’s are cheaper and the tyre supplier sad the have lots of grip, the tyre wear will probably be a bit higher but as I only drive in the spring and the summer that wont be the problem.

Again tank you for the answers and as soon as I have the tyres I will inform you guys about their performance.

Best regards,

Christoph

Re: Introduction and wheel/tyre question.

Biek
Hi Christoph,

Always nice to see a fellow Dutch MG driver pop-up online.

My car is fitted with the Viking Pro-Tech II 205/60/R15's all around and although I haven't been experimenting with different tire sets on this car yet, they've kept the car going right where I wanted it to so far.

Best regards,
Biek
Biek