Continued Insurance Problems

lawrencew
Administrator
Is anyone else having a nightmare every year insuring their Costello?! Footman James are hopeless - they sent me a letter saying they were keen to insure my car, but once I had to explain the "conversion" to V8 they said "the underwriter is no prepared to cover a conversion from 1800cc to 4600". I explained that FJ insure several other Costellos, and that just confused him. So any other companies out there we can use? Disgruntled in Dubai.

Re: Continued Insurance Problems

Richard M Fairclough
Dear Disgruntled in Dubai,

I'm still with Peter Best...don't they like the fact yours is a bigger engine?

The Wakefield Elvis !
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Continued Insurance Problems

Paula-NRR-796K
Lawrence

I recently got a quote from Lancaster Insurance  and was amazed. I told the guy mine was a Costello V8 rather than a factory V8 and I got 2000 miles limited mileage with £200 excess for well under £100.00. I also got a quote from Ashmore Insurance in Epsom which I think was £134.00 fully comp.

Paula

Re: Continued Insurance Problems

Alan Worth
I just got my renewal from Footman James who Ive been with for 7 yrs, £270.00 !!! Phoned Lancaster and got the same cover for £129.00 ! Bye Bye FJ !!

Re: Continued Insurance Problems

Paula-NRR-796K
Sounds like Lancaster Insurance are happy Insuring our Costello's for a sensible price !

Re: Continued Insurance Problems

Andrew Johnson
Hi Lawrence, I insure my MGC Costello V8 through Peter Best Insurance. I thought I might have problems getting a quote, however, the car was exhibited at Stoneleigh in 2008 by Halls Garage and while I was there I went shopping for insurance because I thought that seeing the car might make it easier to explain the modifications. Matthew Best (who is no longer at Peter Best) was on the Peter Best stand & when I told him the car was at Stoneleigh he wanted to see it straightaway. He said he was familiar with Costello's and had at least one on his books already. He had a good look around, under and inside the MGC, pronounced that it was a good example of a Costello, had been properly restored and the further modifications on my car looked professionally done. He said knew of Halls Garage's reputation and had several of their restorations on his books.While he was on the stand he had a chat with Steve Hall about my car. We settled on an agreed value of £20,000 (I asked for £25,000) and he quoted me on the spot. The only stipulation is that I contunue to be a member of the MG Car Club (!) and that the car is garaged overnight. I have just renewed in April this year and the premium was held at a total of £206.00 fully comprehensive including breakdown cover and with no mileage limit.