Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
Does anyone know which clutch and pressure plate was used on the Costello , and what model are the engine mounts from..Elvis is being repaired at long last !!!  Clutch is 9.50 inches in diameter..also does anyone know the part number for the remote oil filter ??    Any help greatly appreciated !..... Richard.
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Guido
Hello Richard,
I attached a new clutch and cover recently. The clutch diameter is 9" to 9.5", 23 splines. The new clutch cover I bought was for an Jaguar XJ6 series 1. I found it with some luck because a ebay auction with detailed pictures of numbers engraved at a cover was the same mounted before at my flywheel.
Here is an auction for a kit showing the cover, but wrong plate:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/JAGUAR-XJ6-4-2-Ser-I-II-CLUTCH-KIT-9-5-From-1968-79-Only-/191957198050?hash=item2cb18a64e2:g:xJQAAOSwu4BVl8QO

Best Regards
 Guido

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
Thanks Guido !

Richard.
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Laurie Way
Hi Richard, great news on Elvis. The clutch you require is dependant on the gearbox. I believe you have got a standard 4 speed/overdrive box to replace yours keeping it all standard. If this is the case you can find a clutch from many suppliers i.e. Rimmer Bros, Clive Wheatley and Moss etc. (MGB GT V8). The engine mounts can also be sourced this way. The oil filter depends again which remote filter housing you have fitted. My car has the same as fitted standard to the MGB GT V8 which actually is the same as a standard MGB screw on GFE121. I have also noted that Ken fitted oil filter canisters to take paper filters (canister should have markings to let you know which filter to purchase). Hope this helps, good luck. Laurie.

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
Hi Laurie, thanks for the info....it looks like my clutch is a MGB V8.. thrust bearing MGC !.. no idea what the engine mountings are ..oil filter paper ones are standard MGC...Think we need to start a parts list for general use...I'm noting all my part numbers down and the MGOC are brilliant...especially a guy called Tim who is exceptionally helpful...blooming engine mounts aren't Rover P5 or 6' MGB, MGC, Austin Healey...I bet they are Buick !!!   I'll check tomorrow ...we're getting there...bit like British Rail. I've found a fantastic Canadian mechanic who looked after 60 cars in a motor museum !... Brilliant chap !
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Paul Stirling
Hi Richard, I rebuilding too. Regarding engine mounts I was speaking with Dave Vale a while back. He reckoned Ken used original MINI mounts - preferably Cooper S ones. Don't know more than that but may be worth looking in to. Cheers Paul

Hi PAUL...You're correct.they are standard mini engine mounts..with Ken being a works mini driver, he probably had a box full in the garage !!!   Good thing is a pair costs about £12.00 !!.. if you are struggling with anything else, just ask !!... which Costello is yours ?... Richard.
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
Just spotted you are in Inverness....good luck with the rebuild !
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Paul Stirling
Thanks Richard. Good to get that confirmed about the mounts ! My car is an '71. Costello'd from new. Supplied by university. Hammered inner wings and front crossmember to get things to fit. I think he dollied them later on. Standard g/box with cutaway in bellhousing, adaptor plate, mainshaft length was shortened slightly. Finding interesting things as I go.

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
Same as my Roadster which is a 1971... had my main shaft shortened on the new standard gearbox yesterday...Tim in the spares department of the MGOC is extremely helpful, or if you need any help from my mechanic, drop me a line !

Regards,

Richard
R.M. Fairclough

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Paul Stirling
If you get a chance Richard drop me an email. All the best Paul

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Thierryd
Yes, standard Mini engine mounts can be used, but only as long as you have already the steel plate bolted on each side of the block. As far as I know, these plates were made on purpose by Ken to be able to fit the Mini mounts.
I tried the mounts sold by C Weathley, but it doesn't work. Engine is too low (outlet manifold hits the steering column) or too high (carbs hit the bonnet). They are designed for standard V8, not Costellos. The shape of the engine bay differs.
I can telle you because my old steel plates were gone when I changed the engine, and it has ben a nightmare !

All the best from France
Thierry

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Paul Stirling
I have plates and they're out waiting for the engine to go back in. What you say Thierry is interesting. I'll look at getting a template made of them before they go back on just in case for reference.

Re: Clutch and pressure plate?

Richard M Fairclough
PAUL, I haven't got your e.mail address..
Richard.
R.M. Fairclough