timing cover

Hubert Jansen
Hi to you all
I drive a Costello roadster (this one on the Roadster page: Hubert Jansen - Aachen, Germany. 3500cc MkII Roadster)  which was build when Ken did not get engines from Rover any more direct supplied. May be for this reason or any other:  the sealing ring in the timing cover is still a cord and not a modern rotary shaft seal. There seams to be not space (aluminum flesh) to re-work it. Does someone of you have experience with this subject?
Thanks much for any help
Hubert

Re: timing cover

Biek
Hi Hubert,

First off, sorry for the late-ish reply.

My engine has the same cord seal, and when that was leaking beyond what was considered 'marking it's territory' (not to mention the environmental issues, even though my Costello is pretty green ...) we ended up replacing it for a new cord. I understood there was no way to replace it for something more modern, and the cord, if mounted correctly (which is not really that hard, once you've removed everything in your way to get to it), should last 100k kilometers easily.

From what I read, these are the earliest Rover 3500's, which probably are closest to the original Buick engines, which is why they 'still' had those cords in.

Not sure what else I can help you with, other than to warn you to prepare for a lot of work, as we ended up taking the engine out and completely apart. It's one of those parts you come to last I guess.

If I can be of more assistance, then please feel free to contact me.

Good luck sir!

All best,
Biek
Biek