Owner of MGB GT V8 DRC 310J

Chris Harris
I have stumbled across your web site only recently despite being an avid lover of the Costello converted cars for years. I also wish to identify myself because you mention me and my V8 in respect to the 'where are they' section on your web site. The full registration of my car is DRC 310J and was  first registered in Derby about October 1970 by the Kennings organisation.
DRC was bought by me October 1971 and has always been overly cherished so, yes, I'm an out-n-out MG fanatic! My car is not a genuine Costello car and has never been to Ken's premises. The conversion is all my own work (as designer) and the handiwork of a range of skilled craftmen I have used over the years
In 1974, I carried out extensive engine mods to increase its effectiveness as a sports car... and anyway, I like doing engineering work (after all I'm a professional engineer).  I used BL special tuning parts and went to extreme lengths but did n't use a different camshaft. The car has remained in my ownership and into marriage (yes it survived) and continued to be 'mollycoddled'. During the early 1980's I decided I would like to carry out the next stage in increasing performance. I considered two engine options: the Rover v8 and Lotus 2 litre 16 valve and after careful thought (2 years...I do n't rush anything) decided on the V8. By this time I was fully aware of what Ken was up to and what he had acheived so I decided I would convert my own GT to a replica Costello.  I loosely planned for the standard 3.5 litre with twin 2" SU's mounted as the Rover P6  but having removed the 4 cylinder  engine and gearbox (sold immediately due to their condition) work was started on the bodywork modifications. These were carried out extremely carefully with specially made parts and using welders and sheet metal craftsmen of exceptional skill. This work alone (not continuous) took about a year along with other bits and pieces. There was virtually no corrosion anywhere which is what you would expect of a car which had never been out in the rain in my ownership.  I acquired a Costello bonnet via (perfect condition but bright yellow!) but could never find an egg box grill or the rear-mounted badge no matter how hard I looked.  All this was mid 1980's. The front suspension was rebuilt and extensively modified  all with specially made components including upper wish bones and all suspension bushes converted to bronze bushes. Attention was paid to losing weight wherever appropriate and this included the front suspension (and everthing else which was removed from the car for refurbishment or renewal or modification).   Anyone can begin to see this was quite a serious project and was not 'just another v8 conversion' but something much more advanced...and expensive. By the time I got to the engine (we are now year 2000), I acquired a 4 litre litre V8 with lucas 4CU injection and 5 speed LT77 gearbox. The engine in particular received a large amount of detailed engineering. By 2004 I had at long last decided on which wheels to use for the beast. I contacted Image Wheels and following discussion with them decided on centre locking replica D type Jaguar alloy wheels which is their billet 46 design with polished rim. MGA twin cam utilised a similar design but in pressed steel. (This wheel design is now available via MCOC but not the version made by Image Wheels). I chose 16" diameter x 6J made to a particular off set and fitted with Toyo 195 x 50 tyres (extremely close to the rolling diameter of the original wheel/tyre).  With this combination, there is no need for wheel arch modications. I could n't possibly detail all the work  carried out to each and every item on the car ( I would if someone wished me to) but suffice it to say, that I'm am pleased with the final result and in a way, its a tribute to Ken Costello himself who inspired me to take this particular path. This has been a 20 year project but every time I look at the Costello bonnet (and the replica tail bage which I recreated... you should hear this story) I smile with great pride and satisfaction. This is possibly one of the most thorough & extensive V8 conversions ever carried  out even to the parts of the car the eye cannot see. The car is never shown or displayed but can be seen on the roads around Nottingham but  only on sunny days. I wish the man himself could see it...I'm sure he would put his name to it!  But work on a projet such as this is never finished. There is always room for improvement and so the work procedes.

Re: Owner of MGB GT V8 DRC 310J

lawrencew
Administrator
Thanks for solving the mystery of your car Chris. It sounds as if you’ve made a thoroughly very good job of it. However, though it’s flattering that Ken inspired your own effort, that doesn’t make it a real Costello and Ken would not ‘put his name to it’ – nor does he approve of the making of unauthorised replicas of his Costello badge. Sadly, the existence of a number of copies purporting to be Costellos (but which are not usually as well executed as yours) doesn’t do the marque any favours. All the best in your endeavours.