MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Laurie Way
Another car on eBay advertised as a Costello - has the bonnet and wheels but the engine looks like a very strange conversion (look where the alternator is fitted!!). Here's the link:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-GT-V8-MGBGT-V8-Costello-/362483109942

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Rich
This post was updated on .
This is my car and I have been in contact with Laurence on it

It’s clearlry listed stating we don’t know and can’t prove the heritage
Unfortunately as the dvla no longer give out historic v5 info it’s hard to say what it is - so it’s listed as having costello features

It’s had a lot changed over the years
However has

the original costello bonnet
Costello wheels came with it
3.07 diff
Panhard rod
Standard overdrive gearbox
P6 engine However later carbs
Square cut outs to fit the rear rockers

It’s 50 years old so various different owners I’m sure changed bits that failed etc

Whatever it is it will be a fun car for someone :-)
And priced at a non factory conversion

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Richard Fairclough
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Paul Stirling
I don't agree with this Richard.  The car is either a genuine Costello conversion with its build evidence or provenance or its a V8 conversion thats been executed by one of many people since. There is a lot that is not Costello esk with this car. The bonnet could / probably have come from an actual mould that I bought to get it out of circulation. Simply I feel it should have been advertised as a MGB V8 conversion and it has a Costello bonnet etc. I wish Rich well but I feel the Costello tag should be protected for cars that are fully checked and are known to be correct. Not used as an attribution to help sell a car.

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Rich
As I’ve stated
I have not said it is a costello

I have simply stated it has costello features and as there is no way to prove its original history it’s sold and priced as a standard conversion
This gives the buyer opportunity to enjoy a v8 whatever it is

There is more to if than the bonnet - which is not a copy which I should say are still avaliable for anyone to buy today
There were a set of costello princess anna wheels on it which I have kept and replaced with scimitar wheels

Panhard rod
Overdrive box
P6 engine as used by costello ( later carbs fitted - they never used stromburgs on p6 )
The original spec alt bracket for hanging the other side is there and there is evidence of hole for the oil cooler where costello cars have them fitted
When I’ve spoke to the guys that actually built cars with costello and know the cars intimately they have stated not all Costello’s are the same and can have different features

End of the day it’s a car as listed where we can’t prove it’s a costello and not calling it a costello However has some features that are similar

There is no deception - fibs or falsehoods in that is there ?

Costello mk1 original power bulge bonnet  - check
Costello princess anne alloys - removed check
P6 engine as used by costello - check
3.07 diff - check
Panhard rod - check
Square cut outs behind rockers - check
Weird engine mounts
Modified mgb big bore exhaust - check

Whose to say I’ve 50 years the engine hasn’t been altered ?
I know there’s cars on this group that are not not the same as when Ken built them ?

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

lawrencew
Administrator
I have been in touch with Richard on this car. It is indeed impossible to verify its authenticity (via photos at least), so a Certificate of Authenticity cannot be issued.

There will always be one or two cars dressed up as Costellos to achieve a certain cache they have over the factory examples - and a certain higher resale price - and always one or two that have been 'hacked about' to the point their provenance is lost, confused or unidentifiable.

When advertising such a frankenstein car, it's best not to mention the 'Costello' descriptor at all and let the buyer/bidder decide.

Also, we cannot distribute Costello badges without a CoA issued.

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Rich
Just to add on to Laurence’s message -
I have not discussed nor asked for any badges etc to bolster any costello features - also if I were trying to say is most defo is a costello I would most certainly be asking a far Higher price

It’s clearly stated as only having features
Which it has
eBay adds are always best to be accurate so that accurate info is included

If anyone would like to come and verify the car in person I am
More than happy to have that and bump the value up

Cheers

Re: MGBGT V8 "Costello" on eBay

Paul Stirling
Hi Rich
I feel the Costello description in the title MGB V8 "Costello" of your advert on ebay is indicating to possible purchasers it is a Costello. Can it be removed and mention the parts you detailed above in the description. I note your previous comms on this forum, in Jan 2016 offering a bonnet mould for sale (it may be the one I actuslly bought to remove from circulation?). Also what the alternator bracket is off etc etc etc. Regards