MGB convertion

Norbert
Hello,
When I saw the car from Marek Skok as a Costello I was very surprised as I did not know that MGBs of this Age had been still converted by Costello.

I bought a MGB last year with a almost complete history. Only the very first year is missing.
I have the first Registration form MG in 26.8.77 as a Export car which ended one year after selling and was issued to Jennifer Wade c/o French and foxwell in Tadworth.
Next paper shows 27th of Feb 1979 already registered  as a V8 in Germany

It was sold in 1977 Aug.  and than direct converted to a V8.
It was completly dismounted and got a new colour White.
New engine with 156 HP with SU carburators
normal Hood.

In the Workshop they told me it is a very professional convertion.

I have no idea who made the conversion.
Who else besides Costello made those conversions in 1977/78.?
Any Idea how or where I can get the missing informations?
regards
Norbert Schaeberle

Re: MGB convertion

lawrencew
Administrator
Hello Norbert,

Many thanks for getting in touch and using the Costello Forum.

Around 1977 Ken had already scaled down his car modifications business and was concentrating on other projects. His business partners - which included Dave Vale - continued for a few years in business under a different name ('V8 Conversions'), working from the same premises, and in effect performing the same work. A few changes and advances had been made from the early days of Ken's operation however.

Ken converted a couple of cars yes, in the late 1970s, probably finishing projects that had started a few years previously. Its difficult to tell as there are precious few records.

Depending on the nature of the mechanicals in your engine bay, it's difficult to tell if your car is one of Ken's, or one of Dave's.

Send me an email if you can (address is on the website) with some pictures and we can take a closer look.

Kind regards
Lawrence.

Re: MGB convertion

SteveC