MGB Costello Roadster

Mal Platt
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am seeking some advice please.
I've wanted a Costello Roadster for some time and now have the funds to enable a purchase. I have tracked one down but its had a larger (4.6) engine installed and a Mazda gearbox. Since the Costello conversion was largely about the engine upgrade, would a new engine/gearbox such as this be seen as a negative to the register and others?
Thanks
Mal

Re: MGB Costello Roadster

lawrencew
Administrator
Hi Mal, that was originally my car. I replaced the old 3500cc unit with the 4600cc cross-bolted lump (with Ken Costello's approval). The car had an uprated clutch installed when I put the 4600cc in there. No idea if that's still there. The Mazda additions were implanted by the folks who bought the car from me but since that was transacted through a car dealer I do not have their contact details.
Putting Mazda units in an MG is not new (see Frontline) but it's not in-keeping with the Costello marque and was never sanctioned by the man himself. So to buy such a car is a personal choice.
What that has done to the value of the vehicle will only be reflected in the sum the next owner is prepared to pay for it.
In my opinion an LT77 or similar 5-speed box would suit the car better, or, return it to the original spec MGB 4-speed and drive accordingly.
Good luck!
Lawrence.

Re: MGB Costello Roadster

Mal Platt
Hi Lawrence,
Many thanks for the quick response.
I guess its really down to price. At £30K, there's a selection of re-shelled V8 roadsters for less, most of which have many new parts fitted...but not many with 4.6 engines. I really don't want a low compression 3.5.
Can you recall how many owners the car had at the time you sold it?
Is there anything else that you recall about the car that may be of interest?
I tried to PM you but got a delivery failure message.
Thanks again
Mal

Re: MGB Costello Roadster

lawrencew
Administrator
Mal - link is correct.  Email l o l w o o d at yahoo co uk....