Costello V8 MGB GT MYF254L

graham
I was surprised to see my old Costello V8 MYF 254L is now resident in Belgium. There was apparently some debate whether this was/is a genuine Costello. It certainly is, I bought  it in the mid 1970s the second owner. In 1978 it was rebuilt and resprayed in the original Harvest Gold colour. I sold it to a friend around 1984/85 - he also rebuilt it but against my advice had it resprayed in a VW light green colour. Not pleasant.

He sold it on and I saw it again in Manchester in the early 1990s I think in what seemed a dirty white colour but maybe it needed a wash - but it certainly wasn't light green.

Its refit in about 1985 was undertaken by a garage owner who was a rally driver. With its 3500S engine with a very large CD Stromberg carburettor, he thought it was quicker than the Lancias he rallied.

I am so pleased that the car is still in existence. We often tour Europe in what is becoming a classic Jaguar XKR - although at 13 years old it is a mere youth compared to the MG. I would love to see the old Costello on one of our tours - maybe the next one in 2022, Little chance this year.

Re: Costello V8 MGB GT MYF254L

lawrencew
Administrator
Hello Graham, thanks for your note.

I don't have MYF in the Costello Register so will have to recall old correspondence to see if we have any photos of records of the vehicle. We always do our best to verify if certain cars are indeed Costellos - some are more obvious than others. But now due to the age of these cars many have been restored and rebuilt multiple times by multiple owners who have different ideas on how to update and change their configurations. So several have lost their original Costello features completely and appear to be a different car altogether. So not always easy to identify as original.

Maybe drop me a email through the website and we can discuss some more, perhaps with some images of the car for verification?

Best wishes
Lawrence Wood (mgcostello.com).

On Thursday, 18 February 2021, 01:02:24 GMT+4, graham [via MG Costello Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://mg-costello-forum.2691470.n2.nabble.com/Costello-V8-MGB-GT-MYF254L-tp7573100.html
To start a new topic under MG Costello Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MG Costello Forum, click here.
NAML

NAML

Re: Costello V8 MGB GT MYF254L

graham
Hi Lawrence

Thanks for the information. I attach a few photos of MYF. The front on ones were taken in 1979. The side on photos were taken in 1981.

Graham

Graham

Re: Costello V8 MGB GT MYF254L

lawrencew
Administrator
Thanks Graham. That's great. I've passed these on to the current owner via email. If you send me a note at the Yahoo address (link on front page of website) I can put you two in touch if you like?

All the best.
Lawrence.