Costello GT owned 1973-74.

johnpep
Hi All, I owned a red MG B GT Costello for about 2 years 1974-76. I can't remember the reg number but I know the first 3 letters were JBB. Unfortunately all photos of the car have been lost. I bought the car from a farmer in Shelsley Beauchamp near Worcester. I remember it was in rough condition and had a tow hook. He was asking £1500 which I paid in cash!  It was a big risk but I drove it back to Twickenham, W. London with no break down.  I remember taking the car to a body shop friend and asked him to strip all the ancillaries of the body (including the bright side strips) and repair any damage. His respray was excellent and with gold side strips the Costello looked fabulous. I replacing the rear  leaf springs (they had obviously been over loaded!) and the piston dampers with tele shocks and fitted a rear anti roll bar.  The Rover V8 was good (as was the gearbox and overdrive) and never gave any trouble. I remember there was wear in the rear axle final drive - there was a 'clonk' after each gear change.   We drove the Costello to Italy in 1975 were it was appreciated wherever we stopped - the drive over the Alps was a joy with all that power and torque!  Unfortunately I decided to sell the Costello 1975 - my business needed investment and I couldn't afford 2 cars. Looking back I should have kept Costello but like many I didn't think the value would last especially as the MG B GT V8 came out in 1975.

Hope this is of some interest.
johnpep.