A bit of history regarding roadster 7759KO

A bit of history regarding roadster 7759KO

Tim James
To the owner of 7759KO

Having had a few MGB's in my youth and acquired another one recently, I thought I would see if I could find out what has happened to the old ones.

I distinctly remembered buying 7759KO from the son of the caretaker of a teachers training college in Roehampton. I met him when we both worked at the Queen Mary's hospital as we. I was 18 years old at the time so it was around 1978. The car was unloved and was sitting out in the rain without a roof and was not running. I bought it for the staggering sum of £10. My intention was to get it back on the road but it sat outside my flat looking more sorry for itself so I decided to sell it. The only contact I knew was a breakers yard in Streatham where I bought parts to keep my other car on the road. Not knowing where else I could sell it, I offered it to the owner who bought it for £40.

A couple of years later I was at a college in Kingston and I noticed 7759KO on the car park. The owner must have also studied there as I saw it on a regular basis with a distinctive polished aluminium bonnet. I eventually met the owner and he told me it was converted to a V8 by Ken Costello. I am not sure whether it was the original car I bought for £10 or whether the number plate was acquired. I do remember that my one had an ally bonnet so I like to think the conversion was based on my old car.

Could the owner or anybody satisfy my curiosity.

Tim James

Re: A bit of history regarding roadster 7759KO

lawrencew
Administrator
Hello Tim, Write to me at my yahoo email address (details on front page of the website) and I'll put you in touch with the current owner. He's keen to chat with you. You may well remember him :) Best Lawrence W.